Monday, June 16, 2008

Travelling with KIDS

My Kidos!

I took up the challenge of bringing my 2 kids on a vacation last Christmas.
Some of my friends applauded me and some told me to brace myself cos it won't be easy.

Well, it was kindda fun bonding with my kids but I must say, it would have been better if I had been better prepared. Well, now that I am equiped with what to prepare for my next, I trust that future trips should be mor enjoyable. Meantime, I will share some of what I learnt, with you.

Tips on a trip with your kids :

1) On the plane: if your kids cry due to pressure, stand by little biscuits or bite size munchies for them to be distracted and chew so that their ear passage way will not be blocked. I heard some celebrity mum actually drug their children, by adminstering cough drops for them to drink so that they will sleep through out the flight, but honestly, I am not for that idea at all.

2) Always bring a stroller. If your child is 3 years and below, don't think of ever lightening your travel and hence not bring extra weight. If there is extensive shopping and walking, it will tire both parents and child. I made this mistake and had to buy one at the country due to tiredness towards the end of the trip, which cost a bomb.

3) Bring enough supplies of milk powder, wipes, diapers and baby shampoo and soap in a small container. Equip your trip with some plaster, sunscreen, axe- oil, sketch book for doodling for the older kid. I always carry a bottle of hand sanitizer, tissues, wet wipes and some candies in my handbag. Sterilise the milk bottles with hot water if your hotel room is equiped with electrical flask.

4) Cameras to capture those special moments.

Make sure you charge your batteries before the trip!

5) Funny as it sounds, I got a whistle for my daughter when she was younger as she loves to wander off by herself. I told her if she ever got lost, she has to blow it so that I can tarck her down. But that's in Singapore. In foreign countries, I NEVER, EVER, let her leave my sight or daddy's. But we reminded her that IF we ever get lost, to go back to the place she last seen us. If she does not know where, to approach ONLY aunty in UNIFORMS, like the sales girl to get them to do announcement so that we can look for her. Not any stranger on the street.

Vacation can be enjoyed together as a family if given the chance to. Just be more well- prepared and have a positive mindset. It's a time to bond, share the love and do things together in a foreign land. It all depends on how you want it to be like. I had fun. I am sure my next one would be even better. Cheers.

Custom Search